Mastering Distributed Tracing
- Publisher: Packt Publishing (February, 2019)
- Illustration by: Lev Polyakov
- Source code for examples: on GitHub
Available for purchase at PacktPub.com and at Amazon.com.
This book is based on my 3+ years of experience with building, deploying, and operating Jaeger, an open-source distributed tracing platform at Uber Technologies, Inc., and my involvement with the standardization efforts, such as the CNCF OpenTracing project and the W3C Distributed Tracing Working Group. It is a practical guide to distributed tracing, offering end-to-end (get it?) coverage of the field.
By asoare on September 23, 2019
I started reading this book as I felt unsatisfied with the free resources found online and it proved to be a very wise decision. The book is easy to follow, very informative and well structured. It provides the insights/tools/questions you should ask when deciding to implement distributed tracing.
By carlossantana on June 7, 2019
This is hands down the best book on distributing tracing for modern cloud native applications.
When you read this book you will:
- Become familiar with the history and theoretical foundations of tracing;
- Solve the data gathering problem through manual and automatic code instrumentation, with open standards like OpenTracing, W3C Trace Context, and OpenCensus;
- Consider the benefits and applications of a distributed tracing infrastructure for understanding and profiling complex systems;
- Learn how to deploy and operate a distributed tracing platform at scale.
Table of contents:
- Part I: Introduction
- Chapter 1: Why Distributed Tracing
- Chapter 2: Taking Tracing for a HotROD ride
- Chapter 3: Distributed Tracing Fundamentals
- Part II: Data Gathering Problem
- Chapter 4: Instrumentation Basics with OpenTracing
- Chapter 5: Instrumentation of Asynchronous Applications
- Chapter 6: Tracing Standards and Ecosystem
- Chapter 7: Tracing with Service Mesh
- Chapter 8: All About Sampling
- Part III: Getting Value from Tracing
- Chapter 9: Turning the Lights On
- Chapter 10: Distributed Context Propagation
- Chapter 11: Integration with Metrics and Logs
- Chapter 12: Gathering Insights Through Data Mining
- Part IV: Deploying and Operating Tracing Infrastructure
- Chapter 13: Implementing tracing in large organizations
- Chapter 14: Under the Hood of a Distributed Tracing System